Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am British (and live in the uk) married to a nigerian woman.

I am British (and live in the uk) married to a nigerian woman. She submitted her application for a settlement visa to enable her come and settle with me in the uk 3 weeks ago. No replies yet. Included in the application were my (sponsor) 3 MONTHS BANK STATEMENT & 3 MONTHS PAYSLIPS. I heard from a source recently that it MUST be minimum of 6 MONTHS for both documents. What are my spouse's chances of securing the visa? Thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Do you own your own property please
  • 2. How much to your earn per annum
  • 3. Does she have a job ready for when she arrives

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. I live in a rented apartment.

2. £1200 after tax/month

3. She is a trained general nurse practioner. She will work as a nurse when she arrives (or at least a care worker).

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I always advise my clients to submit 6 months bank statements to demonstrate that they shall be able to able to support/accommodate themselves without recourse to public funds.

However, I have known many applicants who have sent 3 months bank statements and have received approval of their visas. There is no automatic rejection for supplying less than 6 months statements, so you can relax a little bit.

Each case is judged on a case by case basis of the supporting documentation provided with the application. If your statements show the income you have available and that the rented property is affordable compared to your income then provided you have submitted adequate evidence that suggests that you wife will be able to find employment here (eg. Adverts for jobs she can do in the area) then I would not expect it to be a problem.

If there are other serious defects with the application however then I could foresee the UKBA including only 3 months statements as a minor deficiency of the application and coupled with others forming the basis of a rejection.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,