Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am on a tier 2 visa and my employer made me redundant 9 months

I am on a tier 2 visa and my employer made me redundant 9 months ago but I did not inform the home office. My visa expires in 2012 I got it in 2009. I came here with my family that is 2 children aged 12 and 16 and my husband.I have tried to look for another job to get another work permit to no avail.

Could you please advise me on what to do now.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi

What nationality are you and your husband?

Is your husband here as your depenedent?

Kind regards
Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am Zimbabwean and my husband is here as my dependant
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m afraid there is no magic bullet for you situation, under the terms of your visa you have 28 days from the date of your dismissal to find another employer who is willing to sponsor you. If you cannot do this then you are to update the UKBA, who will then probably write to you to tell you that your visa is curtailed and that you should leave the country.

I am very sorry to say but if you can’t find a sponsor then you may have to leave the UK.

The only other option would be to claim asylum, but this must be genuine and if it is not I could never advise someone to claim asylum. Claiming Asylum is very difficult. In practice only 19 of 100 applications are actually accepted.

In order to claim asylum you must show that you have a well founded fear of persecution because of:-
 race;
 religion;
 nationality;
 political opinion; or
 membership of a particular social group.

You would also not be able to work during the course of your application for asylum.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom