Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hi there, my sister came to the uk in january 2011 on a student

hi there,
my sister came to the uk in january 2011 on a student visa, I would like to make an application for her as a dependent but she is 22 years old and Im 32. I have always looked after after our parent died.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Does she have any pre-existing health conditions which require that you provide care for her
  • 2. Why does she wish to change visas if she already has a student visa, is it to settle permanently here

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1- she has no pre-existing health conditions

2- yes, she wants to settle permanently here with me.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If she is over 17 and does not require full time care then I'm afraid that there is no possibility that she will get a visa as your dependent because she is viewed as an adult and therefore not dependent on anyone else but herself to live.

Assuming she does not marry or cohabit in a relationship with a person who has UK citizenship, ILR or is a national of an EEA member state then she would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions when her course finishes.

She must get an get a job offer from employer licensed for Tier 2 purposes and have the requisite number of points to be eligible to apply:-

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

Once she has complete 5 years in this category she can apply for ILR.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,