Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am in the process of applying for a visa to visit russia.

I am in the process of applying for a visa to visit russia. I have a seven year old conviction for possession of canabis, which is spent under UK law and I don't have to declare it. Do I have to declare it on my Russioan visa application?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Are you asked directly in the form about any previous convictions
2. Are you asked indirectly in the form (eg. Is there a question which asks whether there are any other matters which may indicate a deficiency of character
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a section on the form that asks if you have ever been arrested or convicted of an offence and when was it?

There is also a section of the form that asks if you have ever been violently mentally ill, or a drug abuser or drug addict

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

In my view it’s fairly clear that your conviction is covered by that question. There is no wiggle room there and there is an almost identical question asked or foreign applications for visas. We get a lot of these types of questions on here.

Basically it will be better to disclose and attempt to mitigate, rather than to not disclose and run the possibility of it being picked up by an enhanced CRB check. If you did not disclose and it was picked up then it would be view by the Russian authorities in the same way that the UKBA view it here – wilful deception.

Deception is regarded as a very serious act resulting usually on the immediate rejection of the application and the retention in their records of a note of deception so that this will be taken in to account in any future application you would choose to make. You can see then that this would prejudicially affect this application and any future one if you were unlucky and it was picked up.

My advise would be to see a local solicitor about the conviction and make sure that you explain the mitigating circumstances of the conviction in a statutory declaration (cost £50+vat) including your conduct since if this is useful to show that you have rehabilitated yourself, are free of convictions and have contributed to society since.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor