INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I want to sponsor my partner, (a zimbabwean 23 years old) of

I want to sponsor my partner, (a zimbabwean 23 years old) of 9 months for six month visit to the uk (general visa)... I'm a professional researcher / lecturer working for a development research institute. I'm 40 years old, solvent with two houses and a good income. Should I justify our relationship - which has a large age discrepancy - in my sponsorship letter? Or should I not refer to it and let him answer the difficult questions in the interview? Would really appreciate some help figuring out my options. I know this is outside your jurisdiction but if I was a us national what would you suggest?

Also, I should add that we are in a loving committed relationship. I have been to zimbabwe three times (for approximately 3 weeks each time) since we met in October. We have a strong body of evidence to prove we are in a relationship: emails, newspaper articles (he is an established and notorious poet), family affidavits...etc. My family have met him on Skype but this cannot replace the trust and familiarity that is borne out of a tangible and physical relationship. As dysfunctional as it might seem, we are in love.

I'd really like him to come to the UK to meet my family. I have met his and this is a big thing to be introduced to family in Africa/Zimbabwe. We intend to get married but because of the large age discrepancy we want to take things slowly. We would like to spend a good period of time together before we make the decision to spend the rest of our lives together. I have the means to support his application, a 3 bedroomed home and a stable, family / friend network. Moreover, the political climate in zimbabwe is too unsafe with social unrest caused by the impending government elections. It is increasingly unsafe for me to keep travelling to Zimbabwe.

Lots of questions on how best to spin this situation to the authorities... any advice would be gratefully received.!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

I assume he intends to return to Zimbabwe at the end of his proposed trip?

Are you engaged?

many thanks,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, he is an established artist / poet and will be working on some projects in Southern Africa in 2012. It is imperative that he returns to lead on/ fulfil these commitments. Presumably we would have to evidence these arrangements. Are emails accepted as evidence?

We are engaged but I'm not sure we want to pursue this angle for his first visit. As I've mentioned we are a new couple (9 months), committed but mindful that we need to lay the right foundations for this relationship to work and be viewed as a viable relationship.

I have begun collecting my evidence, which includes accounts, payslips etc. Do I have to send him the originals or can I get them validated in the UK?
Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

I would suggest that you collate as much evidence of his life in Zimbabwe, especially details which would require him to return to Zimbabwe. It is down to your partner to show that he will return to Zimbabwe at the end of the proposed trip and the more evidence in relation to this, the better.

With regard to the documents, originals should be submitted with the application. The UKBA does not accept photocopies.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do you suggest we tackle this element:

Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

I would suggest you explain your relationship in a covering letter, especially the vast difference in age. If you leave this to your partner, they may not provide satisfactory responses and thus this may adversely affect the application.

I suggest you explain in the covering letter, how you met, how the relationship evolved and what you have both done to keep the relationship subsisting. I would suggest you provide as much evidence in the form of telephone bills, copy e-mails and photographs, as possible.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One final question, most of our correspondence has been conducted through email and other social networking sites. Will this be viewed a supplementary evidence that supports his application?
Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

Yes it will. I suggest you print as much of it as you can and submit this along with the application as evidence that you have maintained contact.

Kind regards,

INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)