INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

My boyfriend is American and I am a UK citizen, we have known

Customer Question

My boyfriend is American and I am a UK citizen, we have known each other for 7 years and both been to visit each other. He was married in 1982 to a Scottish girl while stationed in the UK with the US Navy, but the marriage did not work out and they were divorced a couple of years later and he returned to the USA. He would like to return here. Does he have any rights to return to the UK permanently?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Did your boyfriend ever obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we don't know
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

If he did not obtain indefinite leave to remain, he will have no right to come back to the UK.

If this is the case, your only options are either a unmarried partners visa, or think about marrying.

If applying for an unmarried partners visa, you will have to show that you have lived together, in a relationship akin to a marriage, for at least 2 years.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

If I have answered your question, kindly click accept. If you do not, I do not get credit for my time.

Many thanks,