INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

my late mom was born in uk in 1918, moved to south africa in

Customer Question

my late mom was born in uk in 1918, moved to south africa in about 1936. my late father was south african. can i apply for a uk passport/citizenship. how do i go about it i am a 63 year old female with an sa passport. do you need more info
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

You may be eligible to register as a British citizen if:

1. you were born before 1 January 1983; and
  2. you would have become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent if women had been able to pass this citizenship on to their children in the same way as men at the time of your birth; and
  3. you would have had the right of abode in the UK and have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983, if you had become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies; and
  4. you are of good character.

It is important that you meet all of these requirements.

You will not qualify for registration if you would have become a British overseas citizen or a British dependent territories citizen on 1 January 1983, if women had been able to pass citizenship on before that date.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,