John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor with 8 years experience

My resdence permit expires on 23 july 2011. I am unsure on

Customer Question

My resdence permit expires on 23 july 2011. I am unsure on how to answer on of the questions on the application form (HDPL form). The question says: "Have you travelled to the country or countries from which you sought protection (either asylum or on human rights grounds) since you made your asylum and/or human rights claim?
Yes or No". The reason I am unsure is the fact that iI was granted my status after being refused by the home office and eventually being granted by the courts of appeal. My initial application was under the human rights(protction of family and private life) as I was abandoned here in the UK by my father at the age of 11.
I also want to know if there is a possibility of being granted or applying for permanent residence as I have been in the Uk now for over 15 years.
Please advise
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.
I understand what you say about initially being refused by the Home Office, but the important question is whether you have you been back to your country of origin (from which/against which you sought protection) since your original application. It sounds like you have not and that your answer should be NO, but please can you confirm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I have been to Ghana. I went there for a my friends father's funeral last year.

The reason why am unsure is that my initial application to the home office was under human rights act for Protection of family & private life and unsure if that question relates to me relates to me.

Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.
OK I understand. It does relate to you because your application, on the basis of your right to private and family life, was an application on human rights grounds. You will therefore need to explain your visit to Ghana, the reason for it and length of your stay there. Provided that you only visited for a short time, you should have no problem, given your length of residence in the UK.

As for your question regarding permanent residence here, you can and should (given that you have been here for 15 years) apply on form HDPL for indefinite leave to remain here. That will effectively be permanent residence, now known as settlement. Once you have then been here for a further 5 years with IDR, you should then apply for citizenship.
Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.
Please do remember to click ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my answer.