How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Knox Your Own Question

John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience:  solicitor with 8 years experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
John Knox is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My resdence permit expires on 23 july 2011. I am unsure on

Customer Question

My resdence permit expires on 23 july 2011. I am unsure on how to answer on of the questions on the application form (HDPL form). The question says: "Have you travelled to the country or countries from which you sought protection (either asylum or on human rights grounds) since you made your asylum and/or human rights claim?
Yes or No". The reason I am unsure is the fact that iI was granted my status after being refused by the home office and eventually being granted by the courts of appeal. My initial application was under the human rights(protction of family and private life) as I was abandoned here in the UK by my father at the age of 11.
I also want to know if there is a possibility of being granted or applying for permanent residence as I have been in the Uk now for over 15 years.
Please advise
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  John Knox replied 4 years ago.
I understand what you say about initially being refused by the Home Office, but the important question is whether you have you been back to your country of origin (from which/against which you sought protection) since your original application. It sounds like you have not and that your answer should be NO, but please can you confirm?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have been to Ghana. I went there for a my friends father's funeral last year.


The reason why am unsure is that my initial application to the home office was under human rights act for Protection of family & private life and unsure if that question relates to me relates to me.

Expert:  John Knox replied 4 years ago.
OK I understand. It does relate to you because your application, on the basis of your right to private and family life, was an application on human rights grounds. You will therefore need to explain your visit to Ghana, the reason for it and length of your stay there. Provided that you only visited for a short time, you should have no problem, given your length of residence in the UK.

As for your question regarding permanent residence here, you can and should (given that you have been here for 15 years) apply on form HDPL for indefinite leave to remain here. That will effectively be permanent residence, now known as settlement. Once you have then been here for a further 5 years with IDR, you should then apply for citizenship.
Expert:  John Knox replied 4 years ago.
Please do remember to click ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my answer.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience