How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is a British citizen and got married in Bangladesh

Customer Question

My sister is a British citizen and got married in Bangladesh on March 2008. Her Husband came to the UK on a spouse visa on May 2008. He made an application for Indefinite Leave To Remain.

My sister wasn't very happy with this marriage and realized that her husband's intention for this marriage was to get a British passport. Therefore, she traveled to Croydon, Home office and cancelled the application her husband made and demanded a divorce from her husband.

When my family (father, sister and brother) discovered what my sister had done, they were furious, they gave all the verbal and physical abuse they can. At the end, they promised my sister that they'll arrange a divorce as long as she goes to their solicitor and makes a re-application. My sister agreed.

About three month ago, he got his passport back. His passport had a sticker, Limited Leave to Remain.


She recently escaped from home and went to France to meet her boyfriend (long distance relationship) and got married (Islamic marriage). My father and her passport hungry husband went to the police station to report her missing. The Police called me and I have explained the situation.

She got back to the UK today and wanted my help for the following matters:

1. Can she cancel her husband immigration status and get him deported some how?

2. She needs a divorce from her husband and it's obvious that her husband will not sign the divorce papers (his immigration status seems not perfect) plus there is a child involved. Could she get a divorce? If so, how long would this divorce procedure take?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

He could have applied for indefinite leave to remain in may 2008, are you certain he has only limited leave to remain?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, Because my sister cancelled the first application after some time when the application was made. This cancellation got him very worried. He was terminated from his job. He couldn't apply any social benefits. His two year time has lapsed.

After allot of domestic pressure and false promises made about the divorce would be arranged, my sister had to sign on a re-application for ILR. But when his passport arrived, it had Limited Leave to Remain on the passport.

Would writing a letter to the home office help? Is there a way to get him deported?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


She should really have specific contact details for the UKBA on the documentation/correspondence sent to her by the UKBA referring her to ways in which she can update any change in circumstances. I would tell her to look for this, failing that she can contact them in ways described on the following page but she will probably be passed on to the relevant department:-


It will be for the UKBA to decide whether or not to deport him, but following a recent ruling if he is the father of a UK citizen then he will be at liberty to obtain further leave to remain on the basis of this parentage (if he takes specific legal advice, which I presume he would do when faced with potential deportation proceedings).


If he will not accept service of the divorce petition then she can have them served on him by a professional process server that she can instruct privately. The server will then swear an affidavit stating he received the papers and then the divorce can proceed. The quickest divorces usually take around 4-5 months.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.