How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a South African citizen is married to an EU citizen would

This answer was rated:

If a South African citizen is married to an EU citizen would they be allowed to stay in the UK indefinately?



Thanks for your question.


They will be able to apply for a family permit in order to travel here with the EEA citizen and work. Once they are here they can stay apply for a registration certificate confirming their right to remain here for 5 years.


At the end of this time they can apply for permanent residence, which means they can they stay indefinitely. After obtaining PR they can apply for naturalisation provided they meet the eligiblity criteria


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,



EDIT. The EEA national must also come to the UK to exercise treaty rights (ie. work) in order for the non-eea national to travel here as above explained.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions