Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If a South African citizen is married to an EU citizen would

If a South African citizen is married to an EU citizen would they be allowed to stay in the UK indefinately?

Thanks for your question.

They will be able to apply for a family permit in order to travel here with the EEA citizen and work. Once they are here they can stay apply for a registration certificate confirming their right to remain here for 5 years.

At the end of this time they can apply for permanent residence, which means they can they stay indefinitely. After obtaining PR they can apply for naturalisation provided they meet the eligiblity criteria

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

EDIT. The EEA national must also come to the UK to exercise treaty rights (ie. work) in order for the non-eea national to travel here as above explained.