Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My friend who is polish has got a job at a school, cleaning.

My friend who is polish has got a job at a school, cleaning. They want to know if she has a work permit - she doesn't really understand. She has a UK national insurance number and is a self employed cleaner. Does this mean she has a visa or a work permit? Thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If your friend is Polish then there is no requirement for them to apply for a work permit/visa because Poland is an EEA member state. This means that they are free to travel within other EEA member states (inc. UK) to work, free from any visa restriction. You can see it confirmed here on the UKBA’s visa services website:-

I would simply refer the employers to the above website in order to satisfy their concerns.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,