Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

It is likely that I am going to either go to Qatar or Dubai

It is likely that I am going to either go to Qatar or Dubai for work for a couple of years. My working visa will be sorted by the company who will employ me. However, I am 41 years old and recently separated and don't wish to go out alone. I have a friend who is a girl (aged 50) who fancies a change and would be happy to join me. She has enough money and just wants to play golf and not do a lot. I am keen for her to join me, as i think it will be pretty lonely on my own.

Can you advise on if this would be impossible or maybe how it is possible?

many thanks

Rachel Joseph
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your question. Really though, you would need to speak to an attorney qualified to practice within the UAE for specific advice. I'm afraid there is no such attorneys on this board or a category of "UAE Law" unfortunately.

Generally there is no requirement for UK citizens to apply for visas for short business trips or short visits but for the length of time your friend would be staying (I assume to be the length approximately of your stay) you will have to refer directly to the UAE embassy or instruct a UAE qualified attorney. The website of the same does not deal adequately with your friend's circumstances so you need to make specific enquiries.

Her passport would need to be valid for 6 months beyond her period of intended stay for certain. There are no restrictions on single women going to the UAE per se, though it would be illegal for you to share a room together.

Dubai and Qatar are fairly relaxed these days so I would be quite surprised if, subject to her being able to show that she has sufficient funds to cover the costs of her stay there, it was not permitted.

I would also speak to your company and see if they have any contacts with UAE immigration attornies, since they are apparantely reasonably well versed in immigration requirement for working.

Kind regards,

Tom