How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning. My wife and me have stayed in the UK for over

This answer was rated:

Good morning.
My wife and me have stayed in the UK for over 6 years ( her entry date was the 6 of April 2005 first time she arrived in the UK ). The 25 of July 2006 she received permission to stay in the UK as a family member of an EEA national ( Im danish and my wife is from Venezuela ). This Visa is due the 18 of July 2011. I might add that the reason there is a gap between the entry date in the UK and the start of the Visa is because a solicitor made big mistakes in applying for the Visa.
My question is : Can we now apply for a british pasport for my wife and how is the best way to do this ??. I have been looking on the immigration website and it is a little confusing. F.ex my wife spealk english and has been working all the time as head chef and as restaurant manager but she hasnt been to a college ( proof of english ).

Thank you very much for your help and service.

Have a nice day.

Kind regards.
Henning Jensen

email :[email protected]



Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Can you confirm that your wife has received her residence card as the non-eea spouse of an eea national (ie. You) and that this is to expire 25 July ?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good morning Tom.


She never received a card from the immigration but they stamped her pasport and it says she can stay as a family member ( she is my wife ) and they wrote my name inside as well.With the pasport we also received a letter saying that she could stay as my spouse.


Kind Regards.


Henning Jensen

Hi Henning,

Thanks for your question.

I think from what you say that she has received her Residence Card, it either takes the form of a stamp in her passport or as a separate document and is granted for a period of 5 years.

In order for any one to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen and receive a UK passport thereafter they must first be free of immigration restrictions. In the case of EEA Nationals and their non-EEA family members this means that they must apply for an obtain Permanent Residence.

She needs to apply for PR by using the UKBA’s form EEA4 once she has been exercising her treaty rights for 5 years (ie. working and being self-sufficient). The form is available for download from the UKBA website but you may wish to instruct a solicitor to prepare the application on her behalf, it would cost around £600-800 + Vat.

PR means that she would then have an indefinite right to remain/enter the UK regardless of her relationship with you, so she may decide that she does not need to apply for a UK passport.

Once she has received PR she would need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen. She would need to meet the criteria on the following page:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.