Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hello. I am british married to a nigerian woman whom i want

hello. I am british married to a nigerian woman whom i want to apply for a visa for (again) to settle with me in the uk. due to misinterpretation of the question:- "have you ever worked for a public/civil establishment" - in the last and failed application for her to come visit me in the uk, we answered "No" when the answer is actually "Yes". Now that we are now reapplying for a settlemet visa for her, should we stick to the answer "No" for the same question? even when its actually "Yes"? the only proof we have to show that she worked in nigeria are letters of introduction from her former employees. there were no signed contract or payslips which is common practice with private owned companies in Nigeria. thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Can you tell me thereasons given by the ukba for the refusal please.

Kins regards

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been able to manage all the reasons, so, dont worry about that.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If it is the case that she has worked at one of those forms of institutions then you should answer yes. Deception is taken very seriously by the UKBA and is a general ground for refusal, depending on how material the deception was.

If you made an honest mistake in not ticking "yes" on the original form because you misunderstood the question then you should explain this to them in your statements. Simply state that it was a misunderstanding of the question being asked and having gone through the questions in more detail after receiving your rejection initially you became aware of the question being asked. Impress upon them that this was simply a case of honest mistake and was in now way an intentional deception.

You will have to provide as much detail about the job as you can, together with the letter, and also that there was no formal contract of employment. Explain that this is common place in Nigeria, they appreciate that other countries do not have the employment infrastructure that we do and do not have a wealth of documentary evidence supporting the existence of the job.

Provided you follow the above you should be fine.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor