Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i am married to an egyptian, who wants to apply for a settlement

i am married to an egyptian, who wants to apply for a settlement visa he has taken his english exam as he speaks 5 languages fluently. However the advice i would like is i have 3 children, and i am on working tax credits and in receipt of housing benefit will this affect his application for a settlement visa.

thanks kerry

Thanks for your question.

Part of the eligibility criteria is, of course, that you should be able to accommodate and support yourselves without the need to access public funds. However, this is taken to meant that if granted a spouses visa you will not claim any more in public funds than you would if the visa had not been granted. So, if you are presently in receipt of public funds then as long as his coming here will not mean that you will claim any more public funds then you should be fine.

I would caution though that once you have prepared the application and collated all the supporting documentation to be submitted you should take it to an immigration solicitor to ask that they check the application for any defects or missing documents that should be included. It should cost around £350 + VAT for them to check it.

If it is rejected then you will have to appeal, for which there is a fee to pay and also you would ideally need to instruct a solicitor to prepare the appeal and counsel to act on your behalf on the day.

You can find immigration solicitors in your area by using the following Law Society search engine:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,