How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7590
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a dual citizenship with the US and husband

This answer was rated:

I am a dual citizenship with the US and husband will be also applying with my citizenship to become a Portuguese Citizen and eventually become a dual citzen, but can he apply to work specifically in the UK and potentially the rest of the European Union in the mean time based on my dual citizenship or will he need citizenship and an EU passport in order to work?

What nationality is he?

Where would u settle first, the UK?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He and I are both US, but I am dual with Portugal. We would settle any where that he could get a position.


We are hopeful that he will eventually get dual citizenship with Portugal since the consulate has said it is pretty straight forward, but again you never know.


We would like to move anywhere in Europe, but we will need him to be able to work and there are lots of positions currently in the UK, but we are not sure if he can apply/work using my EU citizenship?


Thanks so much,


Sorry Rene, I've unexpetadly had to leave the office. I'm on my phone but shall be able to answer at some point this afternoon.


Is this okay?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago. problem.

Hi Rene,

Could you please also state your husband's nationality?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is US.



Thanks for your reply.


As you a national of an EEA member state you are afforded the right to exercise you right to work in other EEA member states, as is your spouses. This includes the UK and if you wish to both come here then he will have to apply for a family permit in order to come here and work because he is the non-eea national spouse you an eea national (ie. you).


Here are the details on what he will need to make an application:-


I cannot advise specifically on other EEA nations but they will have either precisely the same form of application or something very, very similar because of the requirement to harmonize treaty rights throughout the EEA


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions