Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am British citizen of Indian origin.I came to this country

I am British citizen of Indian origin.I came to this country in 1973 on a student visa.Two years latter my parents came from Kenya with voucher for permanent stay.I was then given local student status & since then I received university grant.To cut the story short I was working officially.I had buisness between 1980 to 1993.Then I work for costcutters upto 1998.I join Royal Mail (the current employment after 1998, and I am still in employment )However now after 13 years of service they would like to see my work permit which I don't have.Please tell me what is the solution.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. You state you are a British citizen, do you hold a British passport?

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have a British Passport.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

When did you get it?

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got it in 1963 issued in Kenya.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you are a British Citizen then you will not need a work permit to work in the UK – it is the right of UK citizens to work in the UK without restriction. I would state to them that you are a British citizen and show them your passport, possibly allowing them to take a copy.

They are asking because I suppose they think you are not British and would therefore require a visa which permits you to work. They would face a fine of up to £10k if they were found to be employing a person without valid leave to remain/work so you can understand why they are doing it I suppose but once you show them your passport it will be fine.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My employer did took photpcopies of my passport back in 1998.This March when they querried, I send the photocopies of my latest passport, but still they are asking to see my " passport (and visa where appropriate.)" during their visit on 9th June'11.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If you have a British Passport then you will not have a visa stamped in it.

They put "passport (and visa where appropriate) for foreign nationals working in the UK that would require a visa. You do not,

Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom