How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7591
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi We have a friend who lives in Cairo and wishes to visit

Resolved Question:


We have a friend who lives in Cairo and wishes to visit us as soon as he has received his passport. He intends to come for an extended holiday as visa permits. I understand that we have to send an invitation to him confirming that he would not be working and staying with us can you give me some advice please? Many thanks in advance
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


He needs to apply for a visitor's visa, which would permit him to come here for up to 6 months


The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow, is that you need to show that:-

  • Youwant to visit the UK for no more than six months;
  • You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds


You have to try and show them that he has continuing obligations in Eygpt which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that he is not a risk of overstay. Things like a letter from his employer stating he has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property, bank statements showing the money he has available).


He can stay for up to six months and must leave at the end of it. He cannot seek to secure a more permanent stay whilst he - it would not be entertained by the UKBA


If you will assist him during the intended stay you should ask them to go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of his visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that you shall accommodate him (if you will) and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.


Only he can state that he will not work, which he should do when he makes his application.


The executed sponsorship application should be sent to him to submit with his application.


If he is to stay for a long time he will need to demonstrate considerable funds in his account to pay the costs of his time here.


This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-


He can make the application online via the UKBA's visa services website:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

To m

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions