How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Permanent Residency

Resolved Question:

If you have been working for 12 years within the EU UK and Holland, is it possible to apply for a resident permit in the UK? I am on an adult student visa right now. I also had till last year a permanent residency visa in the Netherlands from 2006 till 2010.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. How did you obtain PR in Netherlands? By virtue of marriage to an EEA citizen?
  • 2. When did you arrive in the UK

Kind regards.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom, thanks for your reply.

I first came to London in 1996 with a scholarship to the Royal Ballet school. From 1997 till 2001 i was employed full time by The Birmingham Royal Ballet where I worked till June 2001. In August 2001 I moved to the Netherlands where I worked full time with the Dutch National Ballet till July 2009, so that is how I obtained the PR in Holland. Since September 2009 I have moved back to the UK with a 3 year student visa, which expires September next year.
Last September I lost my PR in the Netherlands because I don't live there anymore.
The reason why I did not apply for the Dutch Citizenship was because when I could apply for it, the Netherlands changed their immigration laws and in my case I would have to give up my Brazilian citizenship and I chose not to do that since my all family is based in Brazil and if one day I want to live there again I would have to go to my own country as an immigrant.

I hope this extra information will help you to guide me and see the possibilities to remain here in the UK after I finish my BA degree in hospitality.

I look forward to hear from you soon,

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jonatas,


Thanks for your question.


I'm afraid that your period of residency in the Netherlands cannot transfer here for the purpose of you obtaining ILR (ie. permanent residence). It is separate.


Similarly, when you left the UK previously your period of residency was broken This means that it cannot count towards a period of residency now to obtain ILR (permanent residence) unfortunately. When you arrived back in the UK a new period of residency started, but there is no provision for students to gain ILR.


Instead they must apply under the long residence rules, to do this you must have 10 years residency in the UK.


If you wish to stay in the UK post study you must either apply for a post study work visa which is available until April 2012:-

Or under the sponsored skilled workers provision:-


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,



Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience