Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello. I am british and my wife and i are applying for a settlement

Hello. I am british and my wife and i are applying for a settlement visa to enable her come to settle with me in the uk. Question: In terms of accomodation, how long Iam i supposed to live in a house before it is acceptable to the immigration officers and would a tenancy agreement alone be enough for proof of address? Thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your Question.

Provided you can produce certified copies of the tenancy agreement signed by both you and the landlord then this should be sufficient for your purposes. I would advise you to couple this with a letter from the landlord confirming that you are to take a tenancy and occupy at the start of the fixed term. You should also download land registry official copies of the register of title for the property to show that the landlord owns the freehold.

The UKBA would not be well advised to refuse on this ground alone, since you will have strong grounds to argue on appeal.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,