How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! I was born in Aden in 1969, and am presently a US citizen.

Customer Question

Hi! I was born in Aden in 1969, and am presently a US citizen. Can I apply for a British passport to get dual citizenship?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Do you mean Aden, Yemen?


Were either of your parents born in the UK?

Kind regards.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes - Aden, Yemen. Mother was also born in Aden, Her father was from Wales - I think Col. William Giles - RAF. He met a local and had 2 daughters. One is now deceased. Mother is alive. I understand that Col Giles is also deceased. Mother is presently as US citizen and resides in the US.


Neither parents were born in the UK, however, my mother said she had a British passport and gave it up because of all the problems they were facing at the time. We were Catholics in Aden - not a good idea.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


I'm afraid that beause neither you or either of your parents werer born in the UK and you have not spent any period of residency here on the facts it does not appear that you are eligible to apply for UK citizenship.


In some circumstances persons born abroad can acquire british citizenship from a parent if that parent was born in the UK, but as this is not the case with you it is not relevant.

I'm sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom. Thank you so much - please clearify one thing for me - her father is Welsh - is it because of the 1981 law or whicever year, when the British Govt. was worried about a potential immigration influx etc, they changed the law and focused on "residents" or "domiciles"?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


You're referring to the British Nationality Act 1981 which is the basis on which my answered was formed.


Your mother likely acquired british citizenship because although she was born outside the UK her father was born in the UK. This is in effect citizenship by descent, but once a person has acquired UK citizenship in this way they cannot themselves pass it on to their children that are born outside the UK.

It's unforunate, but there's no getting around it I'm afraid.

Thanks for your kind accept.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions