Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My girlfriend is from Colombia and has been studying English

My girlfriend is from Colombia and has been studying English language in the UK for the last year. She now wishes to stay in the UK and work. She has a Masters Degree and is very well educated and has worked in imports/exports for several years before she came to the UK. I have suggested that she asks a UK company to sponsor her. Are companies still able to do this, and do they have to be registered with the Home Office?

What visa is your girlfriend presently on and when does this expire?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has a student visa and is allowed to work 10 hours per week. Her visa expires in July.

Thanks for your reply.

Companies are still allowed to do this, yes. It would be for a Tier 2 General Skilled Worker visa.

She needs to meet the points-based eligibility criteria herself in order to apply;-

She must have a job offer from a company who is (or shall at the time of her application become) a licensed sponsors employer with the UKBA for Tier 2 General Visa workers. It must be to do a job that is on the shortage occupation list:-

If the job is not on that list then the employer must show that she is to do a job which cannot be done by the existing settled uk workforce or EEA workers. This is called the resident labour market test.

If you have been cohabiting for two years, or intend to marry then there may be an easier way to secure her leave to remain here.

Whatever application she makes, she must submit it before her current visa expires. This is crucially important.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,