Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

part of my assets were given to me before marriage and part

Customer Question

part of my assets were given to me before marriage and part after marriage all in my name we dont have joint accounts nor do we have have any joint assets, i pay all bills mortgages etc???? shes not contributed to any bills as she dosent work i provide her with money plus we have been married for 5 years and she arrived in the uk 4 years ago.....we have not consimated the marraige but understand we will have to prove that in court if we went to court....ive lived out of the home that she occupuys with my mother and can prove that ive not been living a married life for the 5 years i.e ive been seprated from her??? will she still be entilted to the 50% share???
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your accept.

If your marriage is only 5 years then it is just about a "short"marriage for the purpose of matrionial settlement. In short marriages the assets which each party acquired pre--marriage are generally retained by the person who owned them prior to marriage unless there are reasons why this should not be the case (eg. if you had children and she was to look after them).

Assets acquired during marraige would probably be shared 50% unless there were other reasons for departing (eg. her health), your assets acquired before marraige I would expect to remain yours. This is not to say that you cannot negotiate yourself a better deal with her informally.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great ill contact my solicitor tommorow to draw up divorce papers
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Ok, good luck.

The advice I have given you is general, there may be other specific factors which slighlty affect your position but your solicitor will be able to take your instructions and provide appropriate advice.

Thanks for your kind accept and bonus.

Kind regards,