Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i do not have a passport but was born in austraia back in 1955

i do not have a passport but was born in austraia back in 1955 i came to uk when i was 2years old with my irish parents both dead i have worked fo apox 40 years paying tax ect i have now been told that im elegal to work in uk and lost a job what can i do ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Have you been in the UK since you have arrived and have not left the UK at all?

What do you have by way of identification?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes iv not left the uk at all also driving lincen nat insurance number brith cert from auss cant think of anythig else
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Thanks for your reply

Firstly, you're going to need a passport. You do not qualify for a UK passport at the present time. You will need to make enquiries as to your eligibility for an Irish passport (citizenship by descent from your parents) or for an Austrailian passport by virtue of your birth there.

You should make enquiries of the appropriate embassies. There is also an Austrailian Law section on this site I believe so you could submit a second question to that category for a quicker answer.

I suspect you will probably qualify for both but you will need your birth certificate and probably those of your parents. You will be able to get a copy of your parents from the following site if they were born in Ireland:-

The reason you will need a passport is because you will need something in to which the UKBA can confirm your right to remain here.

Because of your extremely long residence here you qualify to receive Indefinite Leave to Remain under the long residence rules confirmed in Rule 276 Immigration Rules. Here is some guidance on this:-

You will need to produce substantial supporting evidence of your 14 years here, such things as tax records, bank records, evidence of accomodation, DVLA etfc, basically anything which confirms you have been here for 14 years and also been here continuously for 14 years. People can produce withness statements in support verifying your stay.

You will need a solicitor to prepare the applicaiton for you but you should start collating the documents now. They should charged in the region of £1000-1400 + VAT for making the application.

Once you receive ILR you will have indefinite leave to remain in the UK which is only revoked if you spend greater than 2 years out of the country. Once you have held ILR for one year can apply for naturalisation as UK citizen.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Select Immigration Law

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,