Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hi..i was given discretionary leave to remain last year for

hi..i was given discretionary leave to remain last year for 3years and i am from zimbabwe. i would like to visit my family in the US for the summer. do i need a visa to the US or not since on the HomeOffice letter it says that i am free to travel?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

The UK government can only grant leave to remain in the United Kingdom, they cannot grant leave to enter/remain for any other countries (including the US)

It refers to free to travel because it means you are free to travel out of the UK and return during the leave to remain which is granted under the visa.

You will have to apply for an appropraite visa from the US government visa the US Embassy in the UK before you travel. You can find information about travelling on the UK Embassy (London) website:-

http://london.usembassy.gov/visas.html

Sorry it could not be better news and good luck.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom