How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a NZ citizen and have lived in the UK for 25 years.

Resolved Question:

I am a NZ citizen and have lived in the UK for 25 years. I came on a Right to Enter visa, because of a UK Grandperent on my mothers side, in 1985. I am now married to a British Citizen and have 2 Children born here. My question is I would like to remain but not especially interested in becoming a UK Citizen, I have heard that i can get a "red Label" in my NZ Passport that allows me entry into the UK, how do I obtain this?, also if I did pursue UK Citizenship, would I have to sureender my NZ nationality?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Who told you about this "red label", did they mention specifically what it said?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom,


I sent you a reply yesterday, don't know if you recieved it, anyway, I was told of this "red label the last time I entered the UK, by a Passport Control Offical. I carry my original Passport with the "given right to enter for an indefinite period " stamp in it, I could probably persue UK Citizenship through my marriage but we are now seperating after 3 years, I didn't marry for a Passport, and would rather not get her involved, and would prefer to retain my NZ Passport with some kind of entry stamp in it, any ideas?

By the way, I am full time employed and a UK Tax payer.


Many thanks.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Basically, a non-eea national can secure what is called Indefinite Leave to Remain in their passport confirming their right to remain in the UK. This means they can come and go provided they do not leave the country for longer than two years, otherwise the UKBA may revoke the indefinite leave if you are out of the country for longer than two years. A person can defend having it revoked on the basis of being able to explain the the absence and also proving strong family ties to the UK.


The stamp in your passport is, I believe, effectively ILR. So I assume you are free to come and go as described above.


In order to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen a foreign national must first have ILR.


The eligibility criteria for naturalisation if you are now unmarried is as follows:-

  • You must be aged 18 You must be of sound mind.
  • You must intend to continue living in the UK
  • You must be able to communicate in English
  • You must have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK by passing the life in the Uk test.
  • You must be of good character.

    You must also meet the following residential requirments:-

  • been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
  • been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
  • not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
  • not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period

    There is no restriction in etiher the UK or in New Zealand as to holding dual citizenship:-


    If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

    Kind regards,


    Thomas, Solicitor
    Satisfied Customers: 7408
    Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
    Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

    JustAnswer in the News:

    Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
    Web sites like
    ...leave nothing to chance.
    Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
    Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
    I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

    What Customers are Saying:

    • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
    < Previous | Next >
    • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
    • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
    • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
    • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
    • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
    • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
    • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

    Meet The Experts:

    • Thomas



      Satisfied Customers:

      BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
    < Last | Next >
    • Thomas's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
    • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
    • INC's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
    • Clare's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      25 years hight street experience
    • A Hayat's Avatar

      A Hayat

      Immigration Solicitor

      Satisfied Customers:

      13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
    • Paul Richmond's Avatar

      Paul Richmond


      Satisfied Customers:

      LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
    • Awan-Legal's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.