How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

With a valid US passport and no criminal history and in good

This answer was rated:

With a valid US passport and no criminal history and in good standing with the US..what type of UK visa would be appropriate to apply for first in order to live with a UK citizen and raise a child with and eventually get married within a year? Just want to know so I do not fill out the wrong visa and delay the process any longer then it takes already..Thanks in advance for pointing me in a direction.

The person you are to live with, are they a UK citizen?

Do you presently cohabit with them?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes they are a UK citizen.
No we do not live together.
We would like to live together and that is what brings me to you. I need to know what I need to do, and I need very specific, instructions. Thanks for getting back to me and look forwrd to talking more about this.



I'm afraid that because of your lack of cohabitation you are not eligible to apply for an unmarried partner's visa to come here and work right away.


The only work visas that are available at the present time are those which require a licensed sponsor employer on the job in in shortage occupation list:-

You would have to have a job offer and degree though and meet the other points based criteria:-

Alternatively, you could apply for a student visa but would neet to meet the points based criteria and have an offer from a licensed college/university:-


You could apply for a fiance visa. These are for persons coming here to marry. Fiances are given 6 months leave to remain in which to marry. The criteria is as follows:-


  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will see that I have put suggestions of documents you should submit with your application in brackets.


You would have to apply to the British Embassy/Consulate using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website.


You could come here on a visitor's visa for up to 6 months, during which time you could spend some time with your fiance, arrange the wedding and prepare your fiance visa application to submit when you return home. You cannot apply for it whilst you are here on a visitor's visa.


However, during any time on a visitor's visa or fiance visa you would not be permitted to work.


Once married you would then have to apply for a spouses visa which is granted for 27 months, after 24 months you can apply for indefinate leave to remain in the UK.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is the best way to proceed so I would not have to "leave and submit more applications".?

..since my girlfriend in the UK wil be having our child around late November. I want to be there and not have to leave so I am doing a lot of homework right now!!



If you apply for a fiance visa so that it is granted from, say, around, October then you will have 6 months from october in which to marry. After that you could apply for a spouses visa without having to leave the country.


If you visit the UK before you apply for a fiance visa you will have to leave in order to make the applicaiton though, there is no getting around that.

Thanks for your accept.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.