How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7481
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my girlfriend lives in the USA and wishes to move to the UK

Customer Question

my girlfriend lives in the USA and wishes to move to the UK we intend on getting married but need to save money in order to do so whats the quickest way to get her over here
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



If your girlfriend were to come here, how long roughly would it be before you married?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
about 5 to 6 months
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I should have said assuming she would not be able to work during her time here before you are married.


Still 5-6 months or less?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still 5 to 6 months
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



When fiance visas are granted the fiance given 6 months leave to remain on their passport. They must marry within this time and submit their application for a spouses visa before it expires.

The criteria for a fiance visa is as follows:-


  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

The difficulty in proving that you are to marry within 6 months is that you must provide evidence that you have booked a venue, sent invites and perhaps also produced correspondence between you both regaring the wedding. If you can do ths now economically then you should be fine in meeting this criteria.



She will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website


She could obviously visit straighaway but she would not be able to work and would need to return to the US before making a fiance visa application.


Only sponsored workers with a uk job offer from a licensed sponsor doing a job on the shortage occupation list are permited in terms of work visas at the moment. They also have to have degrees. The reality is that she would have to find a job before making the application so I should have thought it would be quicker to apply for a fiance visa above.



You should consider instrucitng a immigration solicitor to prepare an applicaiton for you . You can find local solicitors via:-


It would cost around £800 + VAt for them to prepare the application for you.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Related UK Immigration Law Questions