How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my girlfriend is from angola she has residency in italy she

Resolved Question:

my girlfriend is from angola she has residency in italy she is married but separated from her husband. she is here in the uk on a six month visitors visa. she is pregnant with my baby and is due to give birth on 10 aug her visa runs out on the 10th of sep we are wondering the possibilities of her being able to stay for longer. i am a uk citizen.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Does she have Italian citizenship or simply a visa permitting her to remain in italy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she has residency permit that lasts for 5 years her husband is italian they were together for six years and married for one year. the permit was given not because of her husband but because her family is italian citizens
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



When you say her family is Italian, does she have an Italian mother or father?


Where was she born?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no her mother and father are angolan but she got her residency through her aunt who was married to an italian and who is now an italian citizen. the permit she has is called ricongiungimento familiare which translates as family reunification
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



The UKBA will not permit any applicaiton to be made by a person presently on a visitor's visa to secure any kind of long term stay. They are very strict about that and would require the person to return home in order to make a further applicaiton from there.


In the case of pregant persons who are on visitor's visas, they are only grant further leave to remain for the pupose of giving birth where they are too far in to their pregnancy to be expected to fly home or cannot be expected to fly home so soon after having birth.


She needs to make enquiries with the maternity staff who she is seeing at the moment and ask about when is the earliest that a mother with a new born child can be expected to fly. I'm afraid that I doubt it will be much after when he visa expires, if at all.


If young mother's are not expected to fly for a considerable time following pregancy then she will need to get a letter from a doctor confirming the same and apply for further limited leave to remain before her visa expires.


Note though, that person who leave within 28 days of the expiry of their visa are not considered overstayers.


If the plan is for her to come here to settle with you, then she either:-

1. needs to divorce her husband and then apply for a fiance visa in order to come to the UK to marry you within 6 months of the visa and then make a further application for a spouses visa to settle permanently


2. Investigate her eligibility to apply for indefinate leave to remain (the Italian equivalent) and thereafter to be naturalised as an Italian citiizen on the basis of her long residence there. You have to have 5 years in the UK. If she obtains Italian citizenship then she will be able to come to the UK and exercise her treaty rights free from restrictions.


Sorry it could not be better news.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.