Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am going to marry a Chinese girl in China next Febuary and

Customer Question

I am going to marry a Chinese girl in China next Febuary and want to bring her back as my wife to live in Britain permanently. What are the rules and regulations in this situation?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

What is your nationality and immigration status in the uk please

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am white born in the Uk and a British citizen
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If you wish to marry in China and for her to then travel to the UK to settle permanently then she will have to apply to the British Embassy in China once you are married for a spouse's visa.

You will have to show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to eachother (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. Your wifeis present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 7. You can support each other withoutthe need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 8. You have suitableaccomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligiblity criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive.

She will also have to pass and english language test showing he has a basic command of spoken and listening English. She can find out approved test providers in her area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to her.

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.

It would cost around £800-1000+vat for a solicitor to prepare it on your behalf, or around £300+vat for them to check it. They can prepare it before you leave so that once you are married she can submit it straight away.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

The UKBA aims to reach a decision on all applications within 6-8 weeks of submission.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Is there any futher information you require?

If you do not click accept then your money stays with JustAnswer and I do not receive any credit at all for having taken the time to answer your question.

Please click accept.