Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello. Can you tell me if a Life in the UK certificate

Customer Question

Can you tell me if a "Life in the UK" certificate is required in order to renew my wife's 2 year visa?

The visa will expire on 17/05/11 which means we must submit our FLR(M) application by the 18/04/11 (28 days before). My wife will certainly not be able to register and complete the test and acquire a certificate within the next 7 days... What options do we now have?

1. Do we submit FLR(M) in order not to breach the overstaying laws knowing that it will be rejected?

2. Do we have the right to appeal after the FLR(M) application is rejected on the grounds that they are not satisfied that my wife speaks English - bearing in mind that we have 2 children under 18?

3. Would just registering on a course before we apply make a difference?

Many thanks for any assistance you could provide.

Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Are applying for further leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tom,

I would like to applying for ILR since we have resided here for 2 years+ but I think FLR(M) is the only application that allows more time to prepare for the "Life in the UK Test".

Although, when I compare the requirements for FLR and that of ILR, there are no differences at all nowadays, except for the fee.

So to answer you query: I don't know; whichever gets us passed the a "snake" and up a "ladder"...