UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I went for my interview to the US Embassy for my J1 visa but

Customer Question

I went for my interview to the US Embassy for my J1 visa but they requested I had a medical including a drugs test as I have a caution on my APCO for possession of class B drug from July last year. I went to their appointed doctor and paid the £250 for the medical - I know the drugs test will come back negative. In your expert opinion what are my chances of being approved for the visa. I have paid a lot of money so far and my sponsor (american business owner) is expecting me to arrive on the 25th April? I am 20 years old and apart from this stupid mistake I have never been in trouble with the police.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

You need to make sure any concerns the immigration officer has are put to rest.

If the only reason you had to have a medical was because of the drug caution and you have nothing else on your record then a negative result will be very good for you.

I am sure that at interview you explained you were stupid and this was simply a mistake.

If the result came back negative then I am sure that the immigration people will grant your visa.

You just need to make sure any fears they have about you are put to rest - but from what you have said you have done exactly the right thing and should have nothing to worry about.