How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7035
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im living in the UK about 2 years. Now I applied and received

Customer Question

I'm living in the UK about 2 years. Now I applied and received "UK residence documentation for a national of an EEA state" (Directive 2004/38/EC)
Does this document automatically cancel the residence of my country? Or legally I'm not a resident of my country since I moved from there "permanently"?
(I'm Latvian citizen, just in case)
I'm asking just because my lovely country starts to collect difference in the taxes from citizens who earn money outside of the Latvia. And I have never heard before how it is possible. Latvian government gives very tricky answers to the questions, so it is impossible to understand what I have to do and how... I think they are interested to take as much money as they can from the people like me.
But as far as I know they can't ask anything from the people who aren't residents of the Latvia.
So I would like to know when and how my Latvian residence was cancelled (or will be cancelled)
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


Can you confirm that you what you applied for and received was a Registration Certificate confirming your right of residence in the UK please?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom,

I think so. Take a look to the picture (scanned document):

Sorry, link is too long. Shortened version:

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


That's a workers registration certificate which confirms that you can and are registered to work in the UK. It does not mean that you have permanent residence in this country, although as a national of an EEA member state you do of course have the right to exercise your treaty rights by staying and working here.


It does not revoke your citizenship of Latvia. Even if you were to eventually apply for permanent residence of the UK (ie. effectively Indefinite Leave to Remain for EEA citizens) your Latvian Citizenship would remain in tact.

The only circumstance in which it may be revoked by the Latvian government is if after having attained Permanent Residence you then applied for and then were naturalised as a UK citizen, but this would only happen if the Latvian Government does not permit Latvian citizens to hold dual passports.


I can't comment on the Latvian government's policy on tax collection because this is a UK law forum and there are no Latvian solicitors here.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7035
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've read an article about an agreement that is signed between all EU countries. This agreement doesn't allow to take taxes twice. So if I'm citizen of one EU country but I'm working in another EU country, my country can't ask me to pay any taxes, as I'm paying it to the country where I'm working.
Is it correct?
The article I've read is in Russian, so I can provide automatic translation only:

I think it is European laws, not Latvian.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience