INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

Hi, I m a NZer living & working in London on a Tier 2 sponsorship

Customer Question

I m a NZer living & working in London on a Tier 2 sponsorship visa, due for renewal Sept 2012. I am engaged to a British citizen. We are having two weddings, one in the UK Nov 19th 2011 & one in NZ 30th Dec. I am divorced and need some advice on where it would be best to have the actual wedding, rather than the blessing. I hoped to get married in a Church of England church here but this is not looking likely due to my divorce.
So, I need advice on whether to have a registry office wedding in the uk, or get legally married in NZ.
I would like to go on a marriage visa in good time before my Tier 2 visa is up for renewal (it's expensive to renew!).
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

From the information provided above, I am of the opinion that a registry office marriage is sufficient for the purposes of obtaining a Spouse Visa.

Once you have married, you will be able to make an application for a Spouse Visa. If granted, you will be issued with a 24 month Visa. Following the expiration of the Visa, you will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,