How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What would happen if someone is reported to the authorities

Customer Question

What would happen if someone is reported to the authorities for marrying a british citizen in order to obtain a brtish passport? Say, their passpot application had already been sucessful and then the report was made against them by the person that they had married. What would happen if it was proved that they gave false information on the application both to the applicate and the partner? How should the person proceed in this type of situation in order to best remain the UK? What is the best case and worst case sinario? Would they be deported? If they are deported are you ever able to re-enter the UK? Does it make a difference if they already have a child with this person?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 5 years ago.

Obtaining leave (or citizenship in the UK by deception is a criminal offence which can carry a custodial sentence. If you are given over 12 months in the UK then UK Borders Act, the Home Office can serve you a deportation order under the automatic deportation provisions. If a deportation order is granted, you will be given the opportunity to appeal this but you only have 10 working days from the date the order is served to lodge your appeal. It is likely that you would then get a hearing within a couple of months.


There is no guarantee that the Home Office would seek to prosecute you, there is no consistency in their decision making - sometimes they choose to prosecute and sometimes they don't. You won't know until they actually make the decision and be aware of the fact that there is no limitation period on when they can serve you with a deportation order (ie, they can do it years after the event if they choose though your human rights arguments against this would be stronger the longer they leave it.)


If you are deported, in order to re-enter the UK you will have to apply to the Home Office to have your deportation order revoked setting out your reasons. If this is refused, this will also carry a right of appeal though you will have to remain outside the UK while your appeal is pending. You will not be able to re-enter the UK until the order is revoked.


If you have children in the UK, particularly if they are British then you have a good human rights argument under Article 8 ECHR as to why you should not be deported.


Deportation appeals are extremely difficult to win so if they have given you the opportunity to make representations and argue your case before they decide to deport you, make the most of it. I would advise you visit a solicitor who specialises in immigration as soon as possible and they will be able to advise you fully. Depending on your income, you may be able to get legal aid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If they choose not to deport the person but only prosecute them, what is the standard punishment? Is it always a custodial sentence or is there any other type of punishment, i.e. fines, etc?


If it is proved that the marriage was only arranged for this purpose does it make it a real marriage? i.e. will the marriage be annulled? Also, it is an Egyptian marriage, it was never legally registered in the UK, does this make a difference?


What is likely to happen to the British citizen if it proved that they accepted money for the agreement, can they be prosecuted?


What is the best way to find a recommended solicitor?

Is it worth speaking to the Egyptian Embassy, can they assist in this situation?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you please respond to my follow up questions?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.