Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

if you have been in the country (uk) for ten years legally

if you have been in the country (uk) for ten years legally can you apply for indefinate leave and what conditions are attached
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Have there been any gaps at all between your visas?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was a student then qualified iam not sure if those are the gaps you are inquiring about or if its somerthingelse

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If you were here on a student visa originally then you would have had to either extend your visa or switch in to another visa category in order to be here for ten years. The gaps I asked about are any gaps between your then current visa expiring and your then applying for a new visa.

I will assume for the purpose of this answer that you made all extensions/switching applications before your then current visa expired and have therefore remained in the UK with an unbroken leave to remain here.

If a non-eea/uk national has been here with valid leave to remain for a period of 10 years then they do in principle qualify to apply for indefiinite leave to remain under the long residence rules. You would have to prove your leave to remain for that period by submitting documentary evdience (eg. passports, old correspdoencne/statements/bills etc).

You must not have been out of the UK for a single period that exceeds six months. In total, you must not have lived outside the UK for more than 18 months in total. previous criminal record as well as that nature of the offence will also be considered. You must not have been convicted of an offence, or detained in a prison or institution

Commitments and family ties in the United Kingdom will be considered, along with your character and conduct, and your work history in the UK.

Provided you meet the above and can support it with documentary evidence then you can apply for ILR.

It wouild be best for your application to be prepared or checked by a UK immigration solicitor in your area:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,