CharlotteSJ
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
32200768

hie, i had my immigration document laminated,now i need

hie, i had my daughter and my immigration documents laminated,now i need replacement documents what should i do? how long will it take for me to get them replaced by the Home office as i need to apply for our British passports and can. If there are forms to complete can you send them to my home address by post and also i would like to know if there is a charge for getting them replaced. I am so desperate to have them replaced as soon as possible. Help me please i did not know it was not allowed to laminate them.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

Was your British Citizenship application refused solely because you laminated your documents? If so then this seems excessive and disproportionate. The Home Office should be able to verify the authenticity of your claim to ILR on their own records without needing your document so there that should be able to counter any suggestion that the document you have provided is false. If the decision to refuse was made within the last 3 months, I would advise that you go and see a solicitor who does immigration and public law as they may be able to advise on making a judicial review of this decision. If they have either refused you because of lamination or, failed to give you adequate reasoning for your refusal then this decision can be challenged.

To make a judicial review application, you have to be challenging a decision made in the last 3 months. It is possible to get legal aid for this as the costs if done privately can be very high. Contact the Legal Services Commission http://www.legalservices.gov.uk/public/can_i_get_legal_aid.asp and find a solicitor who has a legal aid franchise in public law and they will be able to advise you fully on this.

There is no right of appeal to a refused citizenship application but to pay another fee and make an application all over again just because you laminated seems excessive. Obviously if they refused your citizenship application for other reasons as well then these will need to be considered when assessing the merits of an application for judicial review.