Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a 63 year old Australian female going to the U.K for 3.5

Customer Question

I am a 63 year old Australian female going to the U.K for 3.5 months on 31st May. I have teaching qualifications but am currently working in aged care. Would I qualify for a working permit while I am in the U.K
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Are you asking if you would be able to work during the 3.5 months, OR whether you would be able to apply for a longer term worker's visa whilst you are here to enable you to stay for an extended period of time?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am only staying for 3.5 months and I want to know whether I will be able to work -legally- for some of that time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's taking a long time for the answer
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Persons applying for a normal visitor's visas are not allowed to undertake paid or unpaid employment. If they do then they will be in breach of the terms of the visa and the UKBA would be entitled to deport the person. This would then prejudicially affect almost all applications for visas that the person may make in the future.

Temporary visitor's workers visa are available but only for some types of work: film crews, news media reps, academic visitors, visitng professors, persons on secondment, company advisers, persons undertaking training,, doctors undertaking exams/clinical attachments, religious workers, sports and entertainers.

Many of the aforementioned would also require sponsors of the visitor.

If you were hoping to work in some kind of care capacity then I'm afriad that, in my view, this would not fall in to one of these categories and therefore you would not be eligible to apply.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Tom,

Just to clarify though, if I want to work do I have to apply for a visa, as an aussie tourist I dont need a visa.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

As an australian you do not normally need to apply for a visa before you tavel - it is granted when you arrive at customs here.

It is technicallty at the discretion of the immigration officials though so I would ensure you have evidence of your return journey and travel insurance about your person.

Thanks for your kind accept.