How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 63 year old Australian female going to the U.K for 3.5

Customer Question

I am a 63 year old Australian female going to the U.K for 3.5 months on 31st May. I have teaching qualifications but am currently working in aged care. Would I qualify for a working permit while I am in the U.K
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


Are you asking if you would be able to work during the 3.5 months, OR whether you would be able to apply for a longer term worker's visa whilst you are here to enable you to stay for an extended period of time?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am only staying for 3.5 months and I want to know whether I will be able to work -legally- for some of that time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's taking a long time for the answer
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.

Persons applying for a normal visitor's visas are not allowed to undertake paid or unpaid employment. If they do then they will be in breach of the terms of the visa and the UKBA would be entitled to deport the person. This would then prejudicially affect almost all applications for visas that the person may make in the future.


Temporary visitor's workers visa are available but only for some types of work: film crews, news media reps, academic visitors, visitng professors, persons on secondment, company advisers, persons undertaking training,, doctors undertaking exams/clinical attachments, religious workers, sports and entertainers.


Many of the aforementioned would also require sponsors of the visitor.


If you were hoping to work in some kind of care capacity then I'm afriad that, in my view, this would not fall in to one of these categories and therefore you would not be eligible to apply.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions free of charge.


Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tom,

Just to clarify though, if I want to work do I have to apply for a visa, as an aussie tourist I dont need a visa.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

As an australian you do not normally need to apply for a visa before you tavel - it is granted when you arrive at customs here.

It is technicallty at the discretion of the immigration officials though so I would ensure you have evidence of your return journey and travel insurance about your person.

Thanks for your kind accept.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience