How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband is an american citizen, he came to the uk in 2010

This answer was rated:

my husband is an american citizen, he came to the uk in 2010 in january,but did not return to the usa until january 2011. he overstayed his 6 month visa by 6 months. nothing was said to him by uk immigration officers when he flew back to the usa. if he returned to the uk now,april 2011 would he be allowed entry,or would he be held by uk immigration officers and sent back to the uk straight away? would the uk be aware of his overstay on his last visit? he has never had his fingerprints or photograph taken in the uk,and he does not have a chip and pin passport. he did not have to apply for a visa waiver when he entered the uk on his last visit. i am a uk citizen. please advise me,thankyou. my husband and i have been married for a year and a half and got married in the usa. i cannot return to the usa at the present time,as my husband is in the usa at present,and has filed an I-130 immigrant visa for me to return to the usa. we have not seen each other now for almost three months,and i miss him so much.

Is he to return for a visit only OR to settle permanently?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he only wants to return to the uk for a visit only. we both want to permanently reside in the usa.he has filed an I-130 visa form in the USA for me to return to the states and eventually become a USA citizen.I don't want to permanently live in the Uk anymore,i want to live in the usa with my american citizen husband,get a green card to allow me to work in the states,and eventually become a permanent usa citizen,with a usa passport. in the meantime while the 1-130 is being processed which could take several months,i would like my husband to return to the uk,for a couple of months,so we can be together. he does not want to settle permanently in the uk. we both want to settle permanently in the usa. would he be able to come to the uk to visit me,even though he overstayed his 6 month visa here in the uk,by almost 6 months the last time he visited the uk? or would he be denied entry into the uk,and sent back on a flight to the usa?



Thanks for your reply.


They will be aware of the overstay because your husband's previous visa length will be noted in his passport as will the date he left the UK. This will also be noted in a central database, or at least it should be.


The UKBA would have been entitle to impose a ban upon your husband re-entering the UK of up to one year if he left of his own accord. He would probably know about this but even if he is unsure he should apply directly to the embassy for a visa prior to travel rather than just hope they grant him one upon port of entry in the usual way for american citizens.


He must disclose the previous overstay, if he does not it will be viewed as deception. He must give reasons for his overstay and explaing any mitigating circumstances. You should complete a sponsorship delcaration explaining the previous overstay, the terms of the propsoed visit and your plans to immigrate to the US. Attach any correspondence relating to the application you have made with respect to your plans to immigrate to further substantiate your claim that he shall not be staying long.



The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follows(as I am sure you are aware0, is that you need to show that:-

  • Youwant to visit the UK for no more than six months;
  • You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

Yo ushould go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration. This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-


The reality is that even if there is not a ban then the UKBA would be entitled to refuse his application for a visitor's visa. In the circumstances the only option available to you is to apply before he travels explaining in full details the overstay and submitting a comprehenive sponsorship declaration drafted by you.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.