Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi I am hoping you can clarify an immigration issue that

Customer Question

I am hoping you can clarify an immigration issue that i have. My wife is about to submit the VAF4A form for a spouse visa to join me in the UK. She is south african and is applying from South Africa.
It was during a chance meeting that she got talking to a person that works for immigration and was told that the application can be processed within a week, provided all necessary documentation is included. However, i am very sceptical, because i was told by one of your experts that it takes 6-8 weeks sometimes longer for the application to be processed. Can you reconfirm the typical processing period.
Furthermore, i would like to know who processes the applications and where. I assume it is done by UK border agency staff in South Africa?

Many thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your qusetion.

I'm afraid that there is no provision which allows for a visa to be fast tracked in the way you have suggested. Applicants applying outside of the UK must book an appointment at the British Embassy in order to personally attend submit their documentation and carry out the required biometric tests.

The application will then be processed. All out of country applications in SA are, I believe, processed there. They are not sent to the UK for processing. The processing time quoted is 6-8 weeks but unforunately this is very much dependent upon how busy the processing department. If they are overburdened then it can be quite a bit longer.

I can only asssume that there was a misunderstanding and the person your wife spoke to was suggesting that internally it only takes them a week to go through a very well prepared and organised document in order to approve the applicant in principle. There will be some time before it reaches them where it is lodged on their records and some time after where the adminstration of actually arranging for the stamp in the passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I thought that was tha case, thankyou for your time

Aidan Mackay

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome, thanks for your kind accept.

Good luck.