How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons father and paternal family are British citizens, however

Resolved Question:

My son's father and paternal family are British citizens, however I, his mother, am not and have never been married to his father. His father currently resides in the US and has for about 12 years. Our son's DOB is 11/14/97.

1. What rights does my son have to establishing citizenship & going to school in Britain?
2. Can I take him to Britain to live without his father?

My son's father lived most of his life in Britain (appx. 30 years) paid taxes in Britain for appx. 12 years, & and his parents (my son's grandparents) still reside in the UK and have paid taxes there for decades.

I am a US citizen but lived in London for a total of 6 years (1 with my son), 3 of which I was married to a British citizen.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Where was your son born. Is his father on his birth certificate? Was his father a British citizen by birth?

Do you have evidence of the fathers citizenship?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My son was born in the US.

His father is not on his birth certificate but can be put on. We do have a paternity test. We have a good relationship with his father.

His father is a British citizen by birth and lived there until he was 29/30 yrs. He's 41 now. His father has a British passport.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Your son is a British citizen by descent but you will need to establish that by producing a birth certificate and evidence of his fathers nationality i.e. a passport or his father s birth certificate. You apply for a British passport and the form will explain the evidence you need.
your sons nationality gives you no rights to reside in the uk you have to qualify on your own behalf
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Regarding my ability, do I have any options as a self employed American citizen to establish residency in Britain?

Also, we are Hurricane Katrina refugees and thought way back then of relocating in London instead of NYC. JUST out of curiosity, would they have given us residency?

And thanks for your help and info. I really do appreciate it. You've been a big help.

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
I am not aware of any particular allowance being made of victims of natural disasters. If the UK were to set such a precedent then millions of people displaced by flooding in Asia could claim residence. I think there is little chance of that happening given the UK is trying to restrict immigration.

If you wish to come here as self employed you need to qualify as one of the categories of entrepreneurs or highly skilled - the rules for which have been considerably tightened recently.

the current position is set out here

the normal tier 1 route has been closed and the new rules are not yet in force
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.