How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13322
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im of marrying someone who is not a UK national (Ive known

Customer Question

I'm of marrying someone who is not a UK national (I've known them for many years) and I heard gossip that the rules are changing this year, is this true or is the info on this web page still accurate and can you set out the rules in an easy to understand list.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Are you a british national? where is your fiance(e) from? What is their immigration status?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't understand your final question, can you expand please.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Is your fiancee in the uk if so on what basis? what leave to remain do they have ?

Can you answer my other questions aswell please
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok understand now. I was born in Ethiopia but now have a full British passport and am employed. My fiance was born in Eritrea and we have known each other most our lives and we have been betrothed. She fled Eritrea to Sudan to escape the unrest and is there today. She is living in Sudan without papers (as you can imagine she left in a hurry!). let me know if you need more information.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
I am not aware of any imminent change in the rules which allow fianacees to come to the uk to marry . She needs to apply for a fiancee visa at the British Embassy in Sudan but she will need to obtain a travel document or passport.

to obtain the visa you must both be over 21 and you need to show the following : you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually 6 months);
you plan to live together permanently after you are married ;
you have met each other;
until you are married , there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds ;
there will, when you are married , be adequate accommodation where you and any dependants can live exclusively and without help from public funds; and
you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing help from public funds.

You will need to produce documentary evidence to support all of this. there is also an english language test which is compulsory but as she comes from Eritrea she may be exempt but will need to prove she coms from Eritrea

you can find more information on the UKBA website
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13322
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and 3 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I intend to marry in Sudan would this be a problem. How would she go about obtaining travel documents or passport?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pressed confirmation prematurely...please confirm whether you will be answering my follow up questions.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
If you marry in Sudan then she will need to apply fro a spouse visa to come ot the Uk instead of a fiancee visa. I can t tell you how she gets travel documents, that is for the authorities in Sudan. People in the UK without travel documents can get temporary ones but if you think about it there is no reason for the UK to issue a travel document to someone in Sudan. There is a convention for stateless persons and refugees but I believe she will have to apply to the sudanese authorities
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you ever so much. Just one more question please. Is marriage and fiance visas looked upon differently. ie is one more favourable or less onerous than the other. Tradition dictates I should marry there but if that makes immigration harder then I would consider the longer term. which visa is easier to obtain?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you ever so much for your help. I was devestated when we lost contact as I really thought she had been killed. You can't imagine my delight when she made contact and I don't want to lose her again. A travel document appears to be the next big challenge for me. Thank you once again.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your goodwill. If you have any contacts of agencies or companies who might be able to help me work through the travel documents in Sudan that would be much appreciated. nevertheless, I'd use your services in the future. Thank you once again.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience