Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Im of marrying someone who is not a UK national (Ive known

I'm of marrying someone who is not a UK national (I've known them for many years) and I heard gossip that the rules are changing this year, is this true or is the info on this web page still accurate and can you set out the rules in an easy to understand list.
Are you a british national? where is your fiance(e) from? What is their immigration status?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand your final question, can you expand please.
Is your fiancee in the uk if so on what basis? what leave to remain do they have ?

Can you answer my other questions aswell please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok understand now. I was born in Ethiopia but now have a full British passport and am employed. My fiance was born in Eritrea and we have known each other most our lives and we have been betrothed. She fled Eritrea to Sudan to escape the unrest and is there today. She is living in Sudan without papers (as you can imagine she left in a hurry!). let me know if you need more information.
I am not aware of any imminent change in the rules which allow fianacees to come to the uk to marry . She needs to apply for a fiancee visa at the British Embassy in Sudan but she will need to obtain a travel document or passport.

to obtain the visa you must both be over 21 and you need to show the following : you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually 6 months);
you plan to live together permanently after you are married ;
you have met each other;
until you are married , there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds ;
there will, when you are married , be adequate accommodation where you and any dependants can live exclusively and without help from public funds; and
you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing help from public funds.

You will need to produce documentary evidence to support all of this. there is also an english language test which is compulsory but as she comes from Eritrea she may be exempt but will need to prove she coms from Eritrea

you can find more information on the UKBA website
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I intend to marry in Sudan would this be a problem. How would she go about obtaining travel documents or passport?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pressed confirmation prematurely...please confirm whether you will be answering my follow up questions.
If you marry in Sudan then she will need to apply fro a spouse visa to come ot the Uk instead of a fiancee visa. I can t tell you how she gets travel documents, that is for the authorities in Sudan. People in the UK without travel documents can get temporary ones but if you think about it there is no reason for the UK to issue a travel document to someone in Sudan. There is a convention for stateless persons and refugees but I believe she will have to apply to the sudanese authorities
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you ever so much. Just one more question please. Is marriage and fiance visas looked upon differently. ie is one more favourable or less onerous than the other. Tradition dictates I should marry there but if that makes immigration harder then I would consider the longer term. which visa is easier to obtain?
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you ever so much for your help. I was devestated when we lost contact as I really thought she had been killed. You can't imagine my delight when she made contact and I don't want to lose her again. A travel document appears to be the next big challenge for me. Thank you once again.
Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your goodwill. If you have any contacts of agencies or companies who might be able to help me work through the travel documents in Sudan that would be much appreciated. nevertheless, I'd use your services in the future. Thank you once again.