How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a somali national has no criminal convictions that he is

This answer was rated:

If a somali national has no criminal convictions that he is aware of and is refused naturlisation as a British citizen as he has not met the good character criteria set out by the secretary of state. Does he have the right to find out why? what procedure can we follow to get some answers?

There is no right of appeal to a refusal of citizenship. The only recourse open to him would be to threaten the Home Office with judicial review on the basis that they have not provided sufficient reasoning for their decision and if this doesn't work, issue judicial review proceedings in the High Court.


This can be a complicated legal procedure and so you will need to enlist the assistance of a solicitor to ensure that your letter before claim and subsequent judicial review application are legally correct.


You also have to issue your claim in the courts within 3 months of the decision and so it is important that you act quickly. It is possible to make an application outside of this time limit but it will be up to the court as whether they accept your reasons for not making the application in time as valid. They are under no obligation to do so.



CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience: I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi charlotte,


I was about to ask you another question and i press accept instead of send question. Can i please ask you a follow on question from your answer?

If it relates to the same issue then of course you can. If it relates to a different issue, you will need to start a new thread.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Charotte,


I was asking how much the high court costs on average?


And also we believe that they refused due to a suspicion on character so can we get the human rights committee involved at this stage.


Thanks again

The costs in a judicial review can be thousands of pounds depending on how far it goes and how much your solicitor and barrister charge you. Alternatively depending on your income, it may be possible for you to get legal aid. The solicitor will need to assess your case and if they believe that there is more than a 50% chance of being successful and your income is below the current threshold then you can get all of your legal advice and representation for free. Legal Aid will cover the court costs as well.


You will need to contact an immigration solicitor who has an LSC contract in immigration or public law and they will be able to advise you on whether you qualify for legal aid by doing an income and expenditure calculation. You can find details of providers in your area and do your own calculation at


I'm not sure exactly who you are referring to when you talk about the Human Rights Committee as there are a number of human rights organisations in the UK. I would advise you seek detailed legal advice on your situation first and that solicitor will then be better placed to advise on what other organisations to get involved.


Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Thank you so much i'll definetely use you again. take care charlotte

That's very kind of you. I would be grateful if you would complete the feedback form for me and I shall of course do the same for you.


Thank you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.