Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I married a Turkish citizen in June 2010. I now want to get

Customer Question

I married a Turkish citizen in June 2010. I now want to get her resident status in the UK. I need an immigration lawyer to handle the process for me. I am a British citizen and my wife resides with me in London. Please advise. Many thanks. TM
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
where and when did you marry. Was your wife granted her medical visa from outside the uk? how long has she been here since she last entered the country?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We married in Istanbul in June 2010. She was granted her medical visa in Istanbul. She has been in the UK 2 days. We have been backwards and forwards from the UK and Istanbul as I own a flat there and have business interests in Turkey. I will be obtaining Turkish citizenship within 90 days. We rent a flat in London. Please let me have any further questions. I am keen to get her resident application started asap. Many thanks. TM
I am afraid that she has no right to apply for a "spouse visa" whilst in the UK. The rules prohibit short term visitors from switching categories. It is intended to prevent people entering the UK on one basis hen they intend to try and stay on another. She needs to apply for a spouse visa from outside the UK. This is not a problem but if you apply from the UK it will definitely be refused.

Provided you can satisfy the requirements she will be able to get spouse visa and the next time she enters the UK she can get 2 years leave and then apply for settlement in due course.

To get settlement or subsequently a British passport, she will need to be resident here principally and not be absent for more than 90 days a year.

You will find the detail of the requirements and how to apply here:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So that means that i can't hire a UK immigration lawyer to handle the process?
well you can but the application must be made in Istanbul or at least from out of the UK . If you can show a genuine marriage and have suitable financial circumstances then it is not usually a problem. certainly you can get help to prepare the application - but my view is it ought to be unnecessary if you make sure you deliver the right supporting docs. The UKBA publish pretty good guidance with the application forms