Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, I have become a British citizen in 2008 after living in

Hi, I have become a British citizen in 2008 after living in the uk since 2002. I am originally from RSA and my family is still there. My son age 20 wants to come and live with me. Is he allowed to work in the uk?

Thank you very much
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that your status as a naturalised British citizen does not really afford any further right to you son to work in this country now because your son is over 18 years of age. Had he been under 18 you could have brought him.

The only time they will consider giving a son/daughter who is over 18 in these circumstances is where there is "compelling reasons", which basically means that the son/daughter must be severely prejudiced if citizenship is not granted (eg. disability etc)

He does of course have the right to apply for a student visa or tier 2 visa, or apply for visitor's visa, but he does not have a right to settle in the Uk at the present time.

Please let me know if his mother or grandparents were born in the UK and I shall advise further.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,