Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I was born in South Africa to a British mother and SA father.

I was born in South Africa to a British mother and SA father. My husband was born in South Africa. We relocated to the UK in Dec 2007 on an Ancestry Visa (expiring Oct 2012). I applied on my own and he applied on his own as his grandfather was British. Our 3 children were on my application.
When we got to the UK, I applied for registration using Form UKM and I am now a British Citizen by Descent. My husband and I have now separated. I need to know if I can get ILR for my children. I have a few issues though
1) My eldest is now 19.
2) if I'm not able to get them ILR now, then how do I extend their 5 year Ancestry Visas if I'm now a British Citizen?
3) Can they get ILR if we are not divorced yet?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
How old are your other children?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are 13 and 15
Ok thanks so far as your younger children are concerned they are entitled to be here as your dependents and as you are settled her e you can apply for settlement for them.You do so on SET( F). Your eldest son will have to qualify in his own right - he can apply for ILR after 5 years residence. You childrens rights are author because you are a uk citizen or in their own capacity so the divorce/separation should have no impact.