How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7035
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Indian citizen in the UK in a civil partnership with

Resolved Question:

I am an Indian citizen in the UK in a civil partnership with a UK national. The Civil partnership was September 2008 and the Leave to Remain based on civil partnership granted in May 2009. In May 2011 I will apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. I ahve been in the UK for 7 years. When can I apply for British citizenship?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


THanks for your question.


If your ILR is to be obtained by virtue of your civil partnership then you will be able to apply for naturalisation as Uk citizen a further year after you receive ILR. This is due to the residential requirements a civil partner must meet in order to be eligible.


THe residential requirements are as follows, you need to:-

  • have been resident in the UK for at least three years ; and
  • have been present in the UK three years before the date of your application; and
  • have not spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the three-year period
  • have not spend more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the three-year period

    Therefore if you meet the above you will be able to apply in May 2012.


    Theses are the further requirement you must meet:-

    • you are aged 18 or over
    • you are of sound mind
    • you can communicate in English
    • you have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK
    • you are of good character
    • you are the civil partner of a British citizen

    If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.


    Kind regards,





    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

    At the moment we have a well documented two year period which will satisfy the ILR requirements. He has also been in the UK on Employer sponsored visa 4 years prior to the Civil Partner visa being granted. So cannot the "third year" juse be the year prior to the two which end in May?


    If not, can he apply for citizenship based on time in the UK and not based on the fact of being in a civil partnertship? Or does the fact that he is on the two year spouse visa mean the prior years are now owrthless for citizenship purposes?



    Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



    THanks for your reply.


    If he is presently on a civil partner's visa then he must apply on this basis once eligible for ILR. On re-reading your original question though he shall be eligible to apply for naturlisation as soon as he obtains ILR due to his previous (I assume legal) time in the UK provided he otherwise meets the criteria I mentioned in my above answer.


    He cannot apply for naturalisation now; he must obtain ILR first and as he is presently on a civil partner's visa the earliest he could do that is in 2011 as you have stated above.


    I trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

    Kind regards,




    Thomas, Solicitor
    Satisfied Customers: 7035
    Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
    Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

    JustAnswer in the News:

    Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
    Web sites like
    ...leave nothing to chance.
    Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
    Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
    I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

    What Customers are Saying:

    • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
    < Previous | Next >
    • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
    • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
    • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
    • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
    • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
    • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
    • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

    Meet The Experts:

    • Thomas


      Satisfied Customers:

      BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
    < Last | Next >
    • Thomas's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
    • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
    • INC's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
    • A Hayat's Avatar

      A Hayat

      Immigration Solicitor

      Satisfied Customers:

      13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
    • Paul Richmond's Avatar

      Paul Richmond


      Satisfied Customers:

      LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
    • Awan-Legal's Avatar



      Satisfied Customers:

      Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
    • John Knox's Avatar

      John Knox


      Satisfied Customers:

      solicitor with 8 years experience