How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question

CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my fiance is a usa citizen,i am a uk citizen,i am currently

Customer Question

my fiance is a usa citizen,i am a uk citizen,i am currently in the uk and my fiance is in the usa. we have been together for over two years and would like to get married as soon as we are able to. please can you tell me if i have to file a fiance visa from the uk,or does my fiance have to file a fiance visa from the usa? how much does it cost to file this visa,where do you obtain it from,and who do you file it to. also is there any other visas that have to be submitted along with this fiance visa. when this form is submitted how long does the whole process usually take from filing the visa to the final decision. my fiance cannot re-enter the uk on just a basic tourist visa as he overstayed his 6 month visa by almost 6 months on his last visit to the uk. he has not been told he has any ban on re-entering the uk when he left to return to the usa. nothing at all was mentioned by immigration officers about his overstay. what would be the best and the quickest way to get him back into the uk for us to marry and then for me to put paperwork in for him to become a permanent resident of the uk.does he have to surrender his usa passport to become a uk citizen? please help me.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 4 years ago.

In order for your fiance to come to the UK to live permanently, he will need to apply for a fiance visa under Rule 290 of the Immigration rules. This application will need to be made in the USA at the embassy on form VAF4A which is for settlement. The current fee is £750 but this will be increasing on 6 April to £810 payable in local currency. Your fiance will also need to complete the English Language Requirement exemption form on the basis that he is from an English speaking country. The application form can be completed online and payment taken online. Your fiance will also need to have his biometrics (fingerprints) taken if he has not already done so. You will need to show that you are both free to marry and intend to do so, that you intend to live together as husband and wife and that you can afford to maintain and accommodate yourselves without recourse to public funds. You will need to provide evidence of your relationship by way of photographs and evidence of continued contact would be beneficial.


The process can take up to 12 weeks, sometimes even longer depending on how busy the embassy is. It is possible to pay and extra $300 and get a decision within 3 weeks by opting for the settlement priority option. This is only available from certain embassies and so it would be wise to check the World Bridge website before you pay the money.


The fact your fiance previously overstayed should not stop him getting his visa to come here as the re-entry ban under Rule 320C does not apply to people making applications on the basis of family. The Home Office will probably be aware of it even though they did not say anything when he left and so the best thing to do would be to do a letter to go with the application addressing the fact that he overstayed, explain the reason, explain that he has never breached immigration law in the past and until that point had a good immigration history record. Providing you include all other necessary evidence to prove that the other rules are met, this should not prevent him getting his visa to come to the UK.


If you are planning for your fiance to live here permanently then coming on another tourist visa and just hoping for the best at the airport is no good anyway. He is better off applying for a settlement visa if that is in fact his actual intention and proving that he can meet the rules. If granted the fiance visa will be valid for 6 months and allow you to marry in the UK . You will then need to submit an application for a spouses visa which can be done from within the UK.


I hope this answers your question in which case please accept. If you require any further information, please ask.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience