Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I had my indefinite leave to remain in UK in March last year.

Customer Question

I had my indefinite leave to remain in UK in March last year. Anytime from this month onwards, I'm due to apply for UK citizenship. But I'm worried about the success of my citizenship application. This is because, in August 2009, I was charged with a driving offence and was fined £368 for driving a car which wasn't insured in my name using a provisional licence. The charge was paid and I have 6 points on my licence. Could you please tell me the likely outcome of my application should I apply now and/or any useful advice. Thanks in advance.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Were there any mitigating circumstances in relation to the conviction?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'mitigating circumstances' in this case. Perhaps I'll try to give a more vivid account of what happened. I bought a new car, which was delivered to me at work. I couldn't leave it there due to parking space, so I decided to send it home before transfering my insurance from a previous car to the new one. This is something I shouldn't have done since I was driving with a provisional licence. Unfortunately, I was pulled over by the police on my way home. They found no other fault with me, except that I was driving an uninsured car and also with a provisional driving licence. When I was charged, I didn't appear in court in person but I explained(in writing) the reasons for the offence which I admitted. I was later sent the conviction (fine) by post in addition to 6 penalty points on my licence. I have no previous convictions or warnings for any other kind of offence.