INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Dear Sir / Madam My name isXXXXX Bataille

Dear Sir / Madam

My name isXXXXX Bataille (born Mamet) and live in Durban, South Africa.
I was born on the 26th May 1955 in the then Madagascar, and I was registered at the British Consulate General in Tananarive, Number 54 in the Register Book of Births.
I have applied and received a registered copy of the above certified from the General Register Office, United Kingdom.

I have in my possession Certified Extracts of birth, death and marriage certificates of both my paternal grandparents and my parents, who were all born in Mauritius (which was a British Colony at the time).

I am trying, with your help, to find out if I am eligible to apply for a British Passport and if not what would the reason be.

I would really appreciate your help in this matter at your earliest convenience.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me by [email protected]

Thanking you
Nadine Bataille
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Hi Nadine,

Do you hold any other nationalites?

Did your parents hold any other nationalities?

Have your parents ever held UK Nationality?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I have a South African passport.
My mother came to South Africa in 1968 on a British Passport & I was included on it. Her passport number was C. 194005. This was cancelled (have no idea when) and she then took out South African citizenship.
As far as my father is concerned, I have no idea, he died in 1967 but I'm sure he had a British Passport as at that time Mauritius was still a British Colony.
Hope this information helps you.

Regards
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Hi Nadine,

Thanks for the additional information.

Would you be able to find out whether your father did indeed have a UK Nationality?

many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try, will let you know a couple of minutes.

Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have found out that he did have a British Passport when he travelled to South Africa (on holiday in 1966) but unfortunately I am unable to find out any further information about it.

Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

If you were born outside the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983, you became a British citizen if, immediately before that date, you were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and had the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

You may have had citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent from your father who had that citizenship, or because you were registered or naturalised as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies.

If you have a passport issued before 1 January 1983 that describes you as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies on page 1, you will almost certainly have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 as long as page 5 says 'Holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom'.

However, if you had the right of abode because you were registered under the British Nationality (No2) Act 1964, you will not normally have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 unless your mother became a British citizen then.

You may have had right of abode if:

• you were adopted, naturalised or registered as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies in the United Kingdom (except in certain circumstances);
  • you had been legally settled in the United Kingdom and ordinarily resident there for five years; or
  • when you were born, you had a parent who was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies because he/she was born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom (except in certain circumstances), or because one of your grandparents was.

I hope this answers yoru question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,